[mythtv-users] Frontend Lockups

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 05:38:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:48 PM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> So as some of you may know, I've been having FE lockups.  I didn't realize
> until tonight, that MythBuntu automatically logs FE to
> /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log.  After looking at my logs, it's apparent
> that I've got some problems.  First off, some background.  Mythbuntu 9.10
> x64.  Myth .22 w/ JYA's repo.
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT]
> (rev a1)
> 04:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
> 04:02.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 03)
> 04:02.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
>
> nVidia card has 512MB RAM pushing a 1080p display.  Intel E7400 CPU w/ 4GB
> RAM.  I'm also in the USA.  I thought that with this card, I could do
> Advanced 2x (according to the wiki
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Supported_Cards).  I'm including the
> relevant FE logs from one of the hard boots.  I was watching Lost in HD and
> it locked up on me a couple times.  I'd have to hard reboot after each
> time.  So I'm thinking I've got some audio problems and my vid card can't do
> Advanced 2x.  Am I reading this log correctly?  I think I have a Turtle
> Beach sound card with SPDIF coax out.  Would that solve some of my audio
> issues?  Thanks for the assitance!

A few things.  First, the chart on that page says that the 9500 will
do 1080i de-interlacing using Advanced 2X but with possible stuttering
on occasion.
To do any 2x interlacing, your display has to be able to do double the
refresh rate to accommodate a doubled frame-rate, so, for example, if
your currently set refesh rate is at 60Hz, can your display do 120Hz?
If not, then you won't be able to use the 2X de-interlacers. (the card
can do them, but the display also has to be able to)
I suspect your 1920x1080 display would be able to do it, but you may
need to adjust your Nvidia-Settings and see what refresh rate you have
set in there now.
You also should check the display specs to see if it will do double
that rate or not.
Is it really a 1920x1080 display, or is that just a resolution the
display says it will accept?

Which profile are you using? The VDPAU High Quality, VDPAU Normal, or
VDPAU Slim?

In your log, it is indicated that you have a Custom Filter defined as
'colorspace=0' (based on the error), you should change that to
'vdpaucolorspace=0'

Others will chime in with more advice (and I'm sure corrections) based
upon their greater knowledge in these areas and experiences with this
card.

Frank