[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

Iain Buchanan iaindb at netspace.net.au
Fri Feb 5 04:15:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 08:04 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> WiFi is becoming a real mess, especially in crowded areas. The overlapping
> channels and mass-marketing is making things almost unusable in some places.
> My local cable company is now offering to set up WiFi for customers, touting it
> as an "alternative" to wired connections, which it really isn't.
>
> The plus side is that almost anywhere I go I can find an open system that I can
> connect to.

slightly illegal here, but that is quite common.  A major Australian
telco who shall remain nameless used to give you their standard aDSL
modem with wireless enabled, unprotected.  A friend spoke to his
neighbour about securing his wireless, and the response was "what
wireless"?

> But for anything beyond very light usage it's not practical, certainly not for
> reliable video.
>
> I know it works for some folks, but I think those cases are exceptions, or
> happen in very rural areas.

I'm happy to be the exception, especially since my house is
steel-reinforced concrete!

I'm in the urban sprawl somewhere, and when I moved here there were no
other APs.  Now I see up to 4.  Granted I also only have one FE and one
BE.  I'm planning on getting my wife hooked on myth in the house, then
I'll disturb the network and we'll _have_ to wire the blue stuff ;)

In like a dimwit, out like a light.
		-- Pogo