[mythtv-users] DVI video/Sound card recomendation

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Feb 5 00:32:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 17:55 +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> As I have got a new flatscreen tellly I guess I should get a DVI card
> whitch outputs both video and audio.  I currently have a HDMI-DVI
> cable for video and use a seperate amp for audio.  The TV has good
> sound so would rather use TV.
>
> I am using Mythubuntu 9.10.
>
> So if it is a video/audio DVI card I need whitch one do peole recoment
> (cheeper the better) or is there another solution?

Ben,

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-G41M-E2SH motherboard which might be cheaper
than buying a video card.

It uses an intel graphics card, but there's no fan on the graphics or
chipset so no fan noise and it's got HDMI out that just work.  IT does
have DVI too, but you don't need to use this as the HDMI works for sound
and picture.

Only two issues which are both small.

1. I can't get it to do 50Hz and I'm not sure whether this would be
better (it defaults to 60Hz).
2. Getting the onboard graphics working in Linux took some fiddling to
get the BIOS setting right, but once I got them right it's worked well.

My screen is a Full HD 100hz Samsung LED and the onboard graphics shows
no problems driving it.

R.