[mythtv-users] gt 240, fanless card .. issues

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 4 18:56:44 UTC 2010

On 02/03/2010 10:55 PM, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

>>> If you want to see what vdpau codecs are supported by your mplayer then you
>>> can do:
>>>
>>> mplayer -vc help |grep vdpau
>>>
>>> and you'll probably see this:
>>>
>>> ffmpeg12vdpau ffmpeg working FFmpeg MPEG-1/2 (VDPAU)  [mpegvideo_vdpau]
>>> ffwmv3vdpau ffmpeg  problems  FFmpeg WMV3/WMV9 (VDPAU)  [wmv3_vdpau]
>>> ffvc1vdpau  ffmpeg  problems  FFmpeg WVC1 (VDPAU)  [vc1_vdpau]
>>> ffh264vdpau ffmpeg  working   FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU)  [h264_vdpau]
>>

>> Yeah, that's what I see.
>>
>> Also, the cpu is now hovering around 10% .. will see if I have any
>> playback issues.
>
> Okay, I'm seeing the same thing on my laptop (which I use as a front
> end) and also on my main frontend.
>
> However, how does this relate to the setting in Utilities/Setup ->  Setup
> ->  TV Settings ->  Playback ->  Playback Profiles
>
> I'm seeing three vdpau options:
>
> 1. VDPAU High Quality
> 2. VDPAU Normal
> 3. VDPAU Slim
>
> I've tried one of these on my 'main' system (using an intel graphics
> gard) and after a crash and reboot I manage to go back to CPU++ (which
> seems to work best for me).
>
> So, will VDPAU work for me with Intel and ATI graphics cards and which
> option should I choose, and how would Joe Average know this when he's
> setting up? ;-]

VDPAU is only available on 8200 and newer series NVIDIA cards.

Use XvMC on 7000 and lower series NVIDIA cards.

Use XvMC on Intel chipsets with the 2.9.0 or 2.9.1 driver.

Use the trash bin for everything else except ATI. I am not sure what
works with ATI, maybe only XV (Anyone know? Please update the wiki re
XvMC. I know the radeon driver does something, but I am not sure what.)

G.