[mythtv-users] Foreign character sets

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Feb 4 15:15:00 UTC 2010

Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well, tmdb manages quite well.  It's gotten many of the films right, so
>>> mysql + myth handles the characters.  The problem is getting them stuffed in
>>> there.
>>>
>>> I have no clue how to do that.  :-(
>>>
>> Me neither. Living in an English speaking country has insulated me
>> from the complexities of internationalisation!
>>

> You might think so, but even operating in a purely English speaking
> environment, the world is increasing full of non-ASCII characters.
> For example, I have a rip of the movie WALL-E managed by mythVideo,
> and when I pulled down the metadata from IMDB, I was surprised that it
> set the title WALL·E.  You'll need to look carefully to see the
> difference there.  In the first case, between the L and E I used an
> ASCII character 0x2D (ASCII HYPHEN-MINUS) while the title for IMDB
> used the multibyte UTF-8 sequence 0xC2 0xB7 (Unicode MIDDLE DOT).  As
> far as mythTV is concerned, there isn't much difference between
> supporting characters like MIDDLE DOT, and other scripts like kanji.
>
> MythTV uses UTF-8 for database strings and you should be allowed to
> enter any valid UTF-8 text in any of these locations.  In the mysql
> command line client you can use the \C command to explicitly set the
> UTF8 and can just insert or update any strings you need.

I've been hoping to fix thsi via mythweb, but it's throwing errors right
now:

*Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_backend_setting() (previously
declared in /home/www/seiner/html/mythweb/includes/utils.php:79) in
/home/www/seiner/html/mythweb/includes/mythbackend.php on line 73

It worked under 0.21; I must have broken something in the upgrade.....

Grrrr.

*Anyway, back to my original question:

Is there some way that I can edit the database without mucking about
with mysql directly?

A simple CLI client that could be scripted?

--

   o__