[mythtv-users] capture card

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 4 14:04:25 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 February 2010 06:55:16 am Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 4 February 2010 10:01, sharifah ummu kulthum <kulthum91 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi guys
> >
> > its me again. how many capture card do i need for my myth to be able to
> > watch tv and record shows simultaneously?
>
> To answer this question for your specific stuation, please tell us how
> are you receiving your TV signal at the moment. In general, the
> ability to watch TV and record simultaneously will require two
> physical tuners. It is possible to buy cards that contain multiple
> tuners (i.e. the newer Hauppauge HVR hybrid cards, or the older Nova-T
> 500 (DVB-T) or PVR-500 (analog hw MPEG-2 cards).
>
> In some circumstances (i.e. you are using DVB/ATSC digital tuners that
> support multirec) it may be possible to watch TV and record multiple
> channels from a single physical tuner. However, it is very unlikely
> (although not impossible depending on your TV service) to be able to
> do this for all of the channels you can receive, so 2 physical tuners
> is usually the minimum requirement.

Agreed, though Myth has changed my personal definition of "watch TV".

Since very little of my TV "watching" is live anymore, I might argue that a
single tuner is sufficient to "watch TV" and record a program simultaneously.

Since the OP almost certainly meant "watch live TV", then your answer is
correct.

My first Myth system had 4 capture devices, 2 connected to cable and 2 to
satellite receivers. I have since decided that was overkill, since almost all
the programming on cable can be found on satellite.

About the only live TV I watch anymore is an hour or so of news in the
morning, though lately I think that a news show recorded the previous day, or
even the previous week or month, would be pretty much the same as the live
show.