[mythtv-users] Master backend with no capture card

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Feb 4 02:31:53 UTC 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 5:16 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/03/2010 07:43 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>> On Wed, February 3, 2010 1:57 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> If I'm understanding you correctly, you won't have any problems if
>>> you
>>> set up a capture card as I mentioned.  The storage usage/
>>> accounting is
>>> specifically one of the known issues of a tunerless backend.
>>>
>> Mine's not tunerless, it actually has an old framegrabber card in it.
>> It's not connected to any video sources, though, which may be the
>> problem.
>>

> Yes, you still need to connect the capture card all the way down.  So
> create a fake video source using the "No grabber" grabber, then
> create a
> fake channel in the video source (and feel free to make it not-
> visible),
> then connect the fake video source to an input on the capture card.
>
> Without the card actually connected up, it's the same as a tunerless
> backend (potentially worse, as it can actually cause working tuners to
> become misconfigured/stop working properly in some once every 6-
> month to
> a year kind of circumstances).

OK, thanks for the tip.  I fixed that, and everything seems all right,
so hopefully I'll avoid any future issues.  I still have the double-
counting issue with disk space, though; any tips for that, or is it
just a limitation of 0.21-fixes?  Here's what Mythweb shows:

Disk Usage:
	* MythTV Drive #1:
		* Directory: mockingbird:/var/lib/mythtv/recordings
		* Total Space: 237,936 MB
		* Space Used: 221,215 MB
		* Space Free: 16,720 MB
	* MythTV Drive #2:
		* Directory: magpie:/var/lib/mythtv/recordings
		* Total Space: 237,936 MB
		* Space Used: 221,215 MB
		* Space Free: 16,720 MB
	* Total Disk Space:
		* Total Space: 475,873 MB
		* Space Used: 442,431 MB
		* Space Free: 33,441 MB

Mockingbird has the physical disk, and magpie mounts it via NFS.
Before storage groups this worked fine without doing anything special;
however, now I seem to have to configure a storage group on each
machine for things to work, and that results in the space being
counted twice.