[mythtv-users] Wireless Bridges and "Thinking it's wired"

Tom listmail at athenet.net
Thu Feb 4 00:03:32 UTC 2010

At 04:16 PM 2/3/2010 -0700, you wrote:
>It's true that using a wireless bridge will allow you to use the RJ-45 port,
>and in that respect the machine will "think" it is using a wired connection.
>
>But it will NOT perform like a wired connection. It may work with TCP, but is
>likely to have problems with UDP packets that have no error correction and
>retransmission mechanism.
>
>Or do such bridges convert UDP to TCP and then back again? That would be
>cool,
>but unlikely.
I doubt it. I've never heard of any encapsulation that wraps a layer two
protocol in another layer 2 protocol. Depending on whose OSI model you
subscribe to, of course.

People (programmers, etc) use UDP because it's connectionless and light,
fast, and not overburdened with layers of check-and-retry logic. If the
packet didn't get through, the higher layers are free to retransmit, which
is in general exactly what they do.

In other words, don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

-T

-----
732. [Writers] From the point of view of literature Mr. Kipling is a genius
who
drops his aspirates. From the point of view of life, he is a reporter who
knows vulgarity better than any one has ever known it. --Oscar Wilde
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixcom.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531