[mythtv-users] RESOLVED: Switched to MythBuntu 9.1, Standard def TV, stretch

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:42:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Naoyuki Tai <ntai at smartfruit.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM, George <george.news at gmx.net> wrote:
>> > Do you have any kind of flickering in the video?
>> >
>> > My card is an ATI HD 4200 from an Asus M4A785TD-M EVO. I notice the default
>> > MythBuntu 9.10 fglrx driver works but not perfectly. I was thinking on
>> > installing the one from ATI but not 100% sure if it will solve problem.
>> >
>> > This is why I ask
>>
>> You have to go all the way back to ubuntu 8.04 (xorg pre 7 I think) to
>> get flicker free video with any ati card..  I will never buy another
>> laptop with an ati card again..
>>
>> -Greg
>
> Say, if you install Ubuntu/MythBuntu 8.04 to a VirtualBox, then you'd
> know which version of fglrx driver it uses.
> You can then download the particular version of driver from ATI web site
> and install it to yours.
>
> For me, the latest version works fine.
>
> To be honest, if the latest driver didn't work out, I was ready to put
> on a NVidia card and be done with it.

It's not fglrx that makes the difference.  It is changes to xorg which
they did not completely comply with (and still have not).  A lot of
drivers had initial difficulty, but ati  still does.

Compositing is a major one for them.  There are still major slowdowns
for the driver.  The opensource radeon driver is becoming faster that
fglrx quickly, but both are still unusable for full screen video (HD
video)...