[mythtv-users] New user trying to get started - basic operation test

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Feb 3 18:38:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Mark V. Tollefson
<Mark-T at charterinternet.com> wrote:
> I have just set up MythTV (system details below).  I can watch cable
> TV using a program called TVTime, so I know that Linux can detect
> and handle the card and that the card itself is working.
>
> MythTV is set for combined front/back end.
>
> Is there any way to test whether MythTV will work without signing up
> to purchase schedule information?  I really want to just try it out to
> (manually) record anything and see/learn how the system works.
> Configuration of the back end seems to require connecting to the
> schedule service.  Can't I just request to record channel 40 for 30
> minutes at 6:30?

SchedulesDirect has a free two week trial period, so you can get an
account without actually paying, get everything up and running, and
then subscribe once you know everything is working.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com