[mythtv-users] Record only HD or prefer HD over SD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 3 15:19:24 UTC 2010

On 02/03/2010 09:56 AM, Ben Eisemann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Lee Koloszyc wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Christian Szpilfogel wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to find a reasonable way to do this but it is not clear
>>> that you can without writing a custom rule.
>>>
>>> Basically I have two HD-PVRs that have all channels available to them. This
>>> includes HD and SD channels. I need to maintain the SD channels because they
>>> are still much more comprehensive in terms of channel and content coverage
>>> and likely will be for some time to come.
>> In mythtv-setup if you set the priority of the HD tuners higher, it
>> will record the HD version if it is in the scheduled window.
> Setting the tuner priorities would work ... but from the OP stated I
> believe both HD and SD channels are tuned using the same tuner.
>
> If that is the case I think you can put priorities on specific
> channels favoring the HD channels over the SD channels with the same
> content.

Yes, you can set priorities on inputs and on channels--but you shouldn't
do either.

Why even leave the standard-def channels in the list?  Just delete them
an you don't have issues.  If you /must/ leave some channels defined
that you don't ever want Myth to use, mark them as not visible (which
works to prevent their use for everything except LiveTV) or if you do
change channel priorities, make the standard def priorities negative,
rather than making the high-def priorities positive.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/419180#419180

Mike