[mythtv-users] OT: Music tools for Linux...

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Wed Feb 3 03:19:50 UTC 2010

Daniel Agar wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:15, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i'm looking to aggregate/consolidate my music collection which isn't
>> very large, but is currently scattered between several iPods and a
>> couple computers.  i'd like to create one central repository, at least
>> for backup, of my music.  getting all the files on to one filesystem
>> isn't really an issue, but organizing and pruning dupes looks to be a
>> tedious manual task.  are there any decent tools that may help to
>> speed this task up?
>>
> MusicBrainz Picard works pretty well if you don't mind going through a
> few albums at a time. http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardDownload

I recommend Jaikoz which is fairly cheaply priced (and has perpetual
free upgrades) but is very powerful in terms of modifying id3 fields in
bulk (say 10K tracks at a time). it uses on line sources like
Musicbrainz and Discogs to get meta data, lyrics, cover art, etc. It can
do this based purely on calculating the audio ID of a track so even if
you start with no meta data, it does a good job. The designer is quite
dedicated to the program and very responsive.

One of my friends also swears by MediaMonkey. It looks good too but I
only have the free version as I have been happy enough with Jaikoz.