[mythtv-users] Channel Scanner Problems (auto assign?)

Jim Beckett beckett.jim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:15:30 UTC 2010

Jim Beckett wrote:
> I think the best solution is to simply ignore the built-in scanner,
> and follow the instructions here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan
>
> (I find it to be much faster, and you produce files that eliminate the
> need to scan in any fashion should you need to rebuild your
> system/database. The only time that you need to rescan, is when
> Comcast shuffles channels on you.)
>
> Follow the instructions in the INSTALL and README files (Make sure you
> use the -p option to get the HD channels), and you should end up with
> the channels, and multiplexes, in your database, almost ready to go...
>
> Once you have generated, and imported the .sql file into your
> database, you should run through the channels once to determine which
> ones need to be deleted due to not being able to get a lock (encrypted
> channels-I think ***), or that you don't want, and delete them in
> mythweb, phpmyadmin, or in the channel editor.
>
> Make sure that your remaining channels are NOT using the on-air guide.
> (If you see this checkmark next to any channel in mythweb, uncheck it.)
>
> Once finished with that, go set your schedules direct account up for
> the channels that you have.
EDIT: You need to add the xmltvid to each channel (mythweb is easiest)
before running the mythfilldatabase commands... (Hover the mouse over
each station you have enabled, and the xmltvid should show itself.)

> Then run 'mythfilldatabase --refresh-all' and 'mythfilldatabase
> --refresh-today' from the terminal, and you should be good to go. (I'm
> not sure that you need to run both commands, but the --refresh-all
> switch doesn't seem to grab the data for today, so that's why I run it
> again using the --refresh-today switch.)
>
> I hope this is helpful.
>
> -Jim
>

> *** (If my assumption about not being able to get a lock on the
> channels due to encryption is incorrect, I'd like someone to point it
> out. I'd really love to be able to tune in the channels we're already
> paying for without messing around with a converter box for each tuner.)
Even if you are aware of this, I figured that I had better make the edit
for anyone new that might find this in the archive, and not be aware of it.

-Jim