[mythtv-users] canceled recording (Recorder Failed) mystery

Bob Gamble kiksadiweb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:23:45 UTC 2010

Still no solution to the below.  Other errors in addition to "Canceled
recording.  Recorder failed" include:

Error: Failed to set channel to 241. Reverting to kState_None

This error can happen when watching livetv and trying to change channels
using my remote.  I will also get "excessive retries" errors intermittently.

As I said below, I had this working flawlessly before early last summer.  It
has been unreliable since then but still does record a fair amount of shows
on each tuner.  I wonder if this is specific to Ubuntu's kernel since IVTV
is now included in the kernel and ivtv-utils is the only installable
component for IVTV (that I now of).  I am considering once again switching
to Centos which seemed to give me the least amount of problems regarding
reliability.  Since the post below I have eliminated the theory that one
version of Ubuntu was better than the other (reinstalling and upgrading to
9.10).  I have checked and rechecked permissions, time between both servers,
network and have done much research.  I don't see any one else having this
problem.  I have also wiped the cards and channel sources a few times,
carefully readding according to documented steps.  I am at a loss.  The only
thing I can think to try is compiling my own vanilla kernel which I used to
do on a regular basis several years ago.

Does anyone out there have additional ideas?  I'd love to hear from you.