[mythtv-users] gt 240, fanless card .. issues

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 18:21:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM, David Durham <david.durham.jr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now to test the VDPAU.  The way I'm doing this is with mplayer.  So
> I'll do 'mplayer -vo vdpau mymovie.mkv'  and I see in the output that
> it is indeed using the vdpau output driver.  Looking at CPU usage, I
> still see the processor at 60 to 80 percent utilization, which is
> probably 10% lower than what I was seeing on an older nvidia card.

If your CPU is at 60% to 80% it's because you are using VDPAU to
render the video in mplayer, but not using VDPAU to decode the video.
To do that, you might want to change what your mplayer command line
used to something like this:

mplayer -vo vdpau,xv, -vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,

The multiple render entries (with the trailing commas) will allow
mplayer to fallback to another renderer if vdpau isn't available, and
likewise with the vdpau codecs listed.  Don't leave out the trailing
commas, as that will allow further fallback to renderers and codecs
that aren't specifically listed on the command line.

You could also specify the '-vo' and '-vc' desired in your
home/<username>/.mplayer/config file.

A simple version of that 'config' file could look something like:

vo=vdpau,xv,
vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,
ao=alsa

If you have that file in place, you don't need to specify the 'vo' and
'vc' on the command line unless you want to override those specified
in the config file.

with that config file in place, you could just do something like:
mplayer <some-video-file.xxx>

Your CPU utilization should drop if you use the VDPAU codecs

Frank