[mythtv-users] Basic questions of newb. ( Cablevision)

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:15:19 UTC 2010

>> Assuming you have a reasonably direct view to Manhatton you should get a
>> bunch of channels even with a cheap radioshack antenna. My first guess would
>> be a setup problem. Not high enough, pointed the wrong way, wrong coax cable
>> killing the signal, wrong input settings on the tv you were  testing on...
>> You didn't feed the antenna coax into the settopbox by mistake? Or leave the
>> tv set for cable input?
>> I got 4 digital channels in my office, ground floor of a concrete + steel
>> frame building with the 5 inch omni directional whip antenna which came with
>> my HVR-950, 15 miles from the transmitter, so you should get something.
>> Please give some more details about how you tested the antenna with your
>> tv (and how you connected it).
>> Regarding FireWire, the FCC mandates that you should have this. This list
>> is archived at gossamer-threads. Search the list archive for 'FCC' and 'CFR'
>> for a reference.
>> Geoff
>>

> Antenna:
>  no direct view to Manhattan. I have a large building across the parking lot
> from mine to the (direct) West. And my widows are all facing West too. Here
> is the map i just generated.
> http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dc723438e0d2a74
> If i read it right - almost all channels are broadcasting from south, south
> east direction. This may explain why i have nothing - the signal has to go
> through half of the brick building or bounce off the opposite building...
> Thinking again - still i should have got at least some cr%% pictures on
> multiple channels. I plugged the antenna in UHV input and disabled "cable"
> input, prior to scanning of channels, on tv. No i didn't plug it into cable
> box.
>
> Firewire:
>  yeap, that's where i picked it up. I'm still not sure how it works ( or
> should work) - should i be able to gain access to all tuners or only to be
> able to flip channels and have one recording or playback at a time ?

Your best bet will probably be to use a QAM tuner for your locals and
an HD-PVR for your other channels. I would suggest an HDHomeRun as
your QAM tuner, it has 2 tuners and it works very well for me. This
allows it to record 2 shows at once, more with multirec. Basically, to
save space the cable company will send multiple channels on the same
channel (or multiplex), a digital tuner can record the whole multiplex
allowing any shows on the same multiplex to be recorded
simultaniously.

This way you can record at least 2 network shows, and one other show
at the same time.

BTW, if you plug your cable directly into you TV, any digital channel
that you TV can view is in the clear. Also, the channel numbers might
not match up with the numbers on your cable box.