[mythtv-users] Migration of recordings database to different / newer system

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:51:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm in the progress of migrating from an old Mythtv 0.21 system to a
completely different 0.24 system.  (different hardware, different
capture device, different mythtv configuration, etc.)

What is the best way to migrate the existing recording database
information to the new system?  I've tried the steps outlined here:
http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html
but the problem I'm running into is going from 0.21 to 0.24.  The tables
have changed between the versions and while I do see my recordings, just
browsing through them gives errors in the mythfrontend log:

2010-12-31 11:20:28.870 Error preparing query: SELECT bookmarkupdate
FROM recorded WHERE chanid    = :CHANID AND      starttime = :STARTTIME
2010-12-31 11:20:28.871 Driver error was [2/1054]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to prepare statement
Database error was:
Unknown column 'bookmarkupdate' in 'field list'

I'm sure there will be other problems with having 0.21 recording data in
a 0.24 system.

I know that if the entire database is using an old schema, mythbackend
will update the schema when it starts up.  However, if just a few tables
are using the old schema, it doesn't seem to trigger the database update.

Is there a way to manually update the relevant tables to the new schema?
 Or another technique for migrating recordings to a newer and different
system?   I see the "partial restore" option here, but it mentions the
need to reconfigure mythtv, so that doesn't seem like a great option.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup

Any hints?

Thanks!
-WD