[mythtv-users] Motorola 6200 - Dynamic resolution for component output possible?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 14:42:44 UTC 2010

On 12/31/10 7:36 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>> Ok, I noticed an option called "4:3" override. I can set this to 480p,
>> and that will at least give me two different modes. One for SD and one
>> for HD.
>
> If you set it to 480p, your SD recordings will be marked as 16:9 and
> stretched accordingly. I found that setting 4:3 override to 480i
> produced a proper 4:3 aspect ratio. I also think the picture is
> clearer letting the playback hardware do the deinterlacing instead of
> the STB.

Thanks for the tip.   After a little bit of experimentation, I made that
change on my own.  I was originally thinking that the deinterlacer in
the STB would be better than deinterlacing on playback.   i.e., it could
all be done in the digital domain, so would be less lossy.

But right now I've got it set to 480i and 1080i and it looks good.
Advanced 2x vdpau for SD and Temporal 2x vdpau for HD are handled by the
ION system just fine.

-WD