[mythtv-users] How to identify Cable box codeset

Tom Runner tomj.runner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 15:57:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Devin Heitmueller <
dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Greg <greg12866 at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> > On 12/28/2010 06:10 AM, Tom Runner wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > My wonderful Cable company told me there box is specific and they cannot
> > give me codeset. Still the Harmony one remote can work with this cable
> box
> > (now TV), which is registered in their database.
> >
> > I tried the Mark's script to send Power command, on Jarod's web site, but
> > without success. Any idea on how I can identify the proper code ?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> It's worth noting that the database covered by the codeset search in
> the script is pretty old.  If the cable box is relatively new, it's
> possible that it simply won't work with the Zilog blaster.  This is
> especially an issue with some of the newer low cost DTA boxes.
>
> But yeah, definitely know what type of cable box it is would help.
>
> Devin

Well, I fear the 2 first suggestion will not work. I live in a wonderful
city where not a single device is locked (all dvd player or iphone are
unlocked), but cable tv is, or kind of.

The box has no name except the name of the provide, meaning NowTV in Hong
Kong.
I found a model number which is "YX-5218A", this on the SD box. But has the
remote of the SD box can work on the HD box, i guess code set can be the
same.

I also found a file for a Slingbox remote, starting like that:

Description=YX-5218A
Remote.name=Slingbox with UEI PL Chip
Remote.signature=BINPL
DeviceType=SAT
DeviceIndex=3
SetupCode=1106
Protocol=00 5A
Protocol.name=NEC1
ProtocolParms=64 64 null
FixedData=20 FD FD
Function.0.name=0
Function.0.hex=FF
Function.1.name=1

Is the codeset the "setupcode" or "ProtocolParms" ? I was planning to give
it a try, but again my lirc driver is no more working. Going to try once
more to re-install. Spending all my vacations on this :((