[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Dec 28 00:48:10 UTC 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:

> On 27/12/10 18:17, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Dec 27, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
>>
>>> Just think how much harder it is now to get myth 0.24 on CentOS 5 running
>>> than it is on Fedora or Ubuntu (at least on modern hardware). So, one
>>> should go that route only if they plan to treat mythtv box as an appliance
>>> and not constantly update it. And where is the fun in that? :-)
>>
>> Yep, it definitely takes some of the fun and excitement out of a myth box,
>> but if that's what you want, its great. Its become what I want of late, I
>> just don't have the time, energy or desire to keep up with Fedora anywhere
>> but on my laptop and on development boxes, where breakage doesn't cause my
>> wife and/or kids to complain. :)
>>

> That's the problem, isn't it? A myth box should be ideally a fit-and-forget appliance. One certainly shouldn't be trying out new hardware on it all the time. (That's for the Frankenstein box I keep in the cellar.)
>
> I'm definitely thinking of CentoS 6. The only question is, will it support the tuners/filesystems/video cards/audio/myth release that I want to use *now* ?

It should. RHEL6 has the bulk of the v4l/dvb stack enabled, includes support
for ext4 and xfs, fairly recent alsa, solid open-source drivers for intel,
amd/ati and nvidia graphics cards. I've not had any more issues getting things
going on RHEL6 than on Fedora, outside of having to build a number of packages,
but if you're using ATrpms, I believe Axel already has all of that available,
and it was fairly trivial for me to build everything I needed and wanted from
RPM Fusion and/or Fedora packages. At the moment, I'm maintaining a private
repo of my own w/all the bits in it.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com