[mythtv-users] Most stable compatible Linux distribution

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Dec 27 21:47:23 UTC 2010

On 27/12/10 18:17, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
>
>> Just think how much harder it is now to get myth 0.24 on CentOS 5 running
>> than it is on Fedora or Ubuntu (at least on modern hardware). So, one
>> should go that route only if they plan to treat mythtv box as an appliance
>> and not constantly update it. And where is the fun in that? :-)
>
> Yep, it definitely takes some of the fun and excitement out of a myth box,
> but if that's what you want, its great. Its become what I want of late, I
> just don't have the time, energy or desire to keep up with Fedora anywhere
> but on my laptop and on development boxes, where breakage doesn't cause my
> wife and/or kids to complain. :)

That's the problem, isn't it? A myth box should be ideally a fit-and-forget
appliance. One certainly shouldn't be trying out new hardware on it all the
time. (That's for the Frankenstein box I keep in the cellar.)

I'm definitely thinking of CentoS 6. The only question is, will it support the
tuners/filesystems/video cards/audio/myth release that I want to use *now* ?

--

Mike Perkins