[mythtv-users] Swapping in a new flatpanel

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 27 00:11:37 UTC 2010

If it was me I'd stop worrying and actually just try pluging in what girlfriend got you already. I'd set the TV to autoscale the image rather than have the vid card do it on the basis that it saves a little extra work from the already busy vid card and your TV will probably do a better job of scaling anyway, but other than that  It WILL just plug and play.

Why would you trade in a fully HD capable tv for one only capable of 720 natively? It wouldn't save you much money and at least with 1080 you've got the option to watch HD and blu-ray natively in future even if you now don't ever think you will need it.

Not sure what you meant by just using "TV out" but you should keep your interconnect between your PC and TV to a digital type (i.e. HDMI or DVI) if you can. Only use the old analog RGB 15 pin 'D' connector if you really have no digital option which would be highly unlikely with any 'modern' vid card or TV. If you meant using some other analog video signal like composite video or even worse a modulated signal into your antenna input, you will get a very noticeably crappy picture quality even with SD-only material.