[mythtv-users] Need help getting lineup changes from Schedules Direct reflected in MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 26 23:44:33 UTC 2010

  On 12/26/2010 04:16 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> If you're using an analog input (i.e. digital cable with an STB + PVR-x50 or
>> HD-PVR) or an unscannable digital input (i.e. firewire from an STB), you
>> need to run:
>>
>> mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels --do-not-filter-new-channels
>>
>> and, if you need MythTV to change any of the existing channel information,
>> include --do-channel-updates .
>>
>> Then, run:
>>
>> mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all
> Hrrrm.
>
> First off, thanks Mike for the feedback.  Your advice has always been
> on the money in the past, so I'm guessing I didn't follow directions.
> My teachers were always after me for that ;-)
>
> I did:
>
> mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels --do-not-filter-new-channels
> --do-channel-updates
>
> and then did:
>
> mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all
>
> But...  When I then ran mythtv-setup and checked in the Channel Editor
> screen, neither the channel that should have been added

Does some other channel have the xmltvid for that channel already
specified?  If not, it's probably becaues of the --do-channel-updates
(which you do not want if the Schedules Direct lineup is
incorrect/outdated).  You can quickly scan through (or Find in page) the
xmltvids for the channels in MythWeb's Channel Editor.

>   nor the two
> that should have been dropped had been acted on.

mythfilldatabase will never remove channels from the MythTV database.
You must do this with mythtv-setup (in the Channel Editor, select the
bad channel and hit D).

>    OTOH, the (unrelated
> to the current issue) channels that I had manually redirected to their
> new channel numbers (not yet updated in SD) got reset to their
> "official" channels.

This is because you added --do-channel-updates , from --help:

--do-channel-updates
    When using DataDirect, ask mythfilldatabase to
    overwrite channel names, frequencies, etc. with the
    values available from the data source. This will
    override custom channel names, which is why it is
    off by default.

>    When the current recording (fortunately not on
> any of the channels I'm trying to work on) finishes, I'll have to get
> back in there and fix them.
>
> Should I not have combined --do-channel-updates with the first run of
> mythfilldatabase?
>
> Should I have instead done three runs with --do-channel-updates as the
> only switch on the command line for the second run?

No.  You just need one run to update your channels database
(--only-update-channels --do-not-filter-new-channels), then one run to
grab data (--dd-grab-all).

Mike