[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Dec 25 00:29:16 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 08:54:10AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 24 December 2010 02:19, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >
> >   No. They find each other once you set up both the AppleTV and the iTunes
> > installation account on each relevant PC.
>
> not true.

    It it infact quite true.

    It really quite baffles me why you feel the need to LIE about something
like this.

> Both my iPad and iPhone would see the Apple TV.
>
> And the ATV appears on my iTunes option to stream audio and video
> without an account set up.

    Are you sure you are actually using a current generation ATV? It sounds
like you are using an old unit and you are just assuming that everything just
works the same with the new hardware.

> For the ATV to directly access content of iTunes on the PC or mac,
> then yes they both need to be registered under the same "home sharing"
> >
> >    Very little that is of relevance to the normal user is open source.
> >
> >    Mostly, the open part of MacOS just allows Apple to host their proprietary
> > components without the need to invest much of their own resources in the non
> > user facing elements of the system.
> >

> You seem to forget some of the core technologies actually published by
> Apple in OpenSource and used by many appliances out there.
> Main one being WebKit.

    That would be something taken from the community rather than given to
it.

> > ...for limited functionality. "Just works" is only useful if there
> > isn't some really fundemental use case that gets ingored in the process.
>
> Anyhow, this is pissing against the wind, if there is anything bad to
> say about apple you're always first in the queue, and the minute

     Sure. I don't like the free pass it gets. The idea that they do
certain things better is just taken as an article of faith with really
no scrutiny given to it. It's hard to debunk because a lot of their stuff
expensive and most people that aren't already invested in the platform
aren't going to put it's through it's paces.

> apple's name is mentioned, you can be sure to find a post of yours
> telling on how crap it is, how evil they are and much better things
> would have been should you had been in charge.
>
> Typical troll.

    Typical fanboy response to dissent.