[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

Ramkumar Prakasam mail2ramkumar at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 04:06:29 UTC 2010

While Iam using a Atom 330+ION as a combined BE/FE, I do notice video freezes or pauses every 20-30min. Just grown to accept it.

Another alternative will be to use mythtv BE as a dedicated server and combine with one of the commercial media players as a dedicated FE. They cost ~$100 For eg.

Apple TV2
Asus O'play
WDTV Live

These boxes claim to have a good HD play back capability and decent reviews. I haven't tried setting them up with mythtv server but they claim UPnP support and so I expect they will work ok.

Has anyone had a good experience interfacing these to mythtv BE?