[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

Atlanta Geek atlantageek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 16:42:26 UTC 2010

I feel your pain. I was very disappointed in my ion system but mostly
about its flash performance.
So you have a couple of options here.
1. Inspired by  http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2366841,00.asp
I built a  combination frontend backend using similar parts. It is
pretty silent and if I had invested another $50 in a case it would be
excellent.  It also doubles as a minidlna server for my sony DVD
player. I wrote a script that would use the mythtv database and modify
the minidlna database since the file names in mythtv are not very
human readable

2. Buy a Mac Mini. The 2010 version has hdmi and mine is truly silent.
 I use mine for hulu desktop mostly.  0.23 did not work but in theory
the 0.24 should work with the 2010 and its remotes.

I still feel the macmini is overkill but it is a nice solution.

3.
Get a Tivo. I purchased one of the Prenium ones with a lifetime
membership used on Craigs list for half of what Tivo sells it for.  Im
thinking about chunking mythtv and pulling my videos from the Tivo to
my minidlna server.  That way I dont have to split my OTA signal so
much.