[mythtv-users] Interesting Reading: Windows Secrets reviews AppleTV and GoogleTV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 23 16:02:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 08:39:18AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, December 23, 2010 08:19:13 am jedi wrote:
>

> >     Very little that is of relevance to the normal user is open
> > source.
>
> Oh come on, the "normal user" wants to do email, visit web sites and
> perhaps do a little word processing.
>
> ALL of that can be done easily using nothing but open source.

    I wasn't aware they made iWork open source. Where can I download the
code? Now if you are talking about using the same apps I could use in Linux
then what's the point really?

> Games may be an exception, but the last computer game I remember playing
> was Pong which, I admit, was not Open Source.
>
> Most often things that Open Source can't do are because of artificial
> restrictions like DRM, and market forces that try very hard to exclude

    Yup. Apple has the same exact problems. That's why the Mini under my
desk triple boots: to deal with the DRM that both Apple and Linux are
locked out of.

> OS because it doesn't fit many business models.

    I don't buy into the idea that Apple employs DRM only by force. It also
benefits them if you are stuck using their devices for any content that you
buy from them.

[deletia]