[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 23 15:21:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 05:49:04PM +1100, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
> >> I forget if it's been Robert's axe to grind about the IONs being
> >> underpowered, but... I've just about had it with my IONs.  (ZOTAC C-U,
> >> B-somethings)
> >>
> >> I have one specific FE that I really want to have perform well and this ION
> >> mITX stuff amounts to half-a-solution and lot of wasted time tuning. Yeah,
> >> Myth's a hobby, but if the point of the hobby is to actually WATCH something
> >> instead of tinkering and tuning, then I want to think about some gear that
> >> isn't so marginal.
> >>
> >> Main complaint: truly high quality vdpau playback isn't consistently
> >> possible and seems to require quite a bit of tuning and fiddling to sustain.
> >>  For me, this makes a credible case against Comcast HD DVR difficult to
> >> support.
> >>
> >> What specs would put forth a quiet-as-possible FE that had some real balls,
> >> was ideally fanless/quiet, and didn't need a lot of tuning to kick ass?
> >>
> >> Basically, spec something that doesn't breathe hard when I watch the damned
> >> nightly news (yes, you may laugh that I watch the news - it's kind of a
> >> metaphor anyways)
> >>
> >> Anyone else feel this pain?  Is it just as simple as getting into the GT 2xx
> >> chips/cards?
> >
> > I did feel the pain - I cannot bash the revo 1600s I have, but I have
> > to admit that they are underpowered for anything that needs a good
> > de-interlacer.  I would especially not recommend any system that is
> > truly only capable of a vdpau slim profile with a screen larger than
> > 42" for a sports fan  :)
>
> My Ion's do VDPAU Normal flawlessly, what's wrong with yours? Never
> had a reason to even consider Slim.

    I don't have any complaints about VDPAU either (beyond Flash).

    My problem has always been with MythTV not tolerating poor quality
signal very well. It had a tendency to crash as soon as there was a
defect in OTA recordings. That seems to be fixed in 0.23 (which is very
much appreciated BTW).

[deletia]

    If you can fit a fast C2D or X2 in a suitable chassis, go for it.