[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 23 14:53:23 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 23, 2010 07:45:51 am Moasat - mythtv wrote:

> I have 3 IONs and have been having trouble playing back anything with
> a decent AV sync.  They seem powerful enough and I think I am using
> VDPAU normal on them, but the AV sync swings so much it is
> distracting.  If it were always a fixed amount of time off, I could
> adjust for that.  But there are times, even within the same 30
> minute show where the sync will be find, then it will be as much as
> .5 seconds off.

Is this with untouched recordings, or files that have been edited in some
way, perhaps for commercial deletion?

I've seen lipsync problems with transmitted programs watched directly
(not using Myth). I've always chalked it up to the probable low quality
of encoding gear at our local small market station, but they only happen
occasionally, not in any consistent manner.

So, are you sure this is a playback problem, and not trouble with the
source? Are you able to play back the files in question outside of Myth
with no A/V sync problems?