[mythtv-users] Build a robust FE - irritated with IONs

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Thu Dec 23 05:18:05 UTC 2010

 I forget if it's been Robert's axe to grind about the IONs being
 underpowered, but... I've just about had it with my IONs.  (ZOTAC C-U,
 B-somethings)

 I have one specific FE that I really want to have perform well and this
 ION mITX stuff amounts to half-a-solution and lot of wasted time tuning.
 Yeah, Myth's a hobby, but if the point of the hobby is to actually
 WATCH something instead of tinkering and tuning, then I want to think
 about some gear that isn't so marginal.

 Main complaint: truly high quality vdpau playback isn't consistently
 possible and seems to require quite a bit of tuning and fiddling to
 sustain.  For me, this makes a credible case against Comcast HD DVR
 difficult to support.

 What specs would put forth a quiet-as-possible FE that had some real
 balls, was ideally fanless/quiet, and didn't need a lot of tuning to
 kick ass?

 Basically, spec something that doesn't breathe hard when I watch the
 damned nightly news (yes, you may laugh that I watch the news - it's
 kind of a metaphor anyways)

 Anyone else feel this pain?  Is it just as simple as getting into the
 GT 2xx chips/cards?

 < /late night rant>