[mythtv-users] When Installing a second Pinnacle tuner card, it's default configuration is analog, not the QAM Samsung my first card has.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 21 15:46:29 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, December 21, 2010 08:37:59 am Ron Harm wrote:
> > I suspect you have a dead card.. do you have another system you can
> > use to check it out?
> >
> > It may be worth looking closely at the card for any obvious
> > physical
>
> damage
>
> > or any debris that could be bridging any contacts or connections.
> > I've generally found PCI cards to be pretty robust (unless they
> > are seriously abused!)
>
> I've looked at the card but didn't see anything obviously wrong with
> it.  I bought it used from a place on amazon.com and they have given
> me my money back, without wanting the card.  I have one other card
> I've tried to make work and only got it partially working.  I could
> start a new email thread on that I supose.

Check the electrolytic capacitors on the card, look for bulging or
leakage of any sort.

This is the most common type of problem I have found, and in most cases,
replacing any suspicious-looking caps has restored the card (even mobos)
to life.

The second most common fault is mechanical problems, look for components
knocked off, things bent to where they short to places they shouldn't,
and any type of damage that happens when the card is dropped or
otherwise mechanically abused.

Then make sure the slot itself doesn't have any dirt of other foreign
matter in it, and that the fingers on the card connector are clean.