[mythtv-users] Sound issue is is baaaaack....0.24-fixes

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Dec 21 05:53:29 UTC 2010

Just wondering if the sound code has been tweaked again in the two latest
0.24-fixes versions.  I had this problem a while back...problem resolved
as of 20 November, right after Jean-Yves posted this up:

> sounds like there is an issue with the ALSA drivers for your audio card
>
> I wonder if we could add an option to automatically unmute the audio
> card; putting this in the advanced like option, something like "unmute
> audio card at startup" or something like that

However, the same problem is back as of the past few days (two updates):

I'm running sound out through s/pdif to my amp.

I am using "ALSA:IEC958:CARD=Interl,DEV=0"as the audio output device.
Under "Audio capabilities", "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" are checked.
Apparently the system can't do the other two, as they're unavailable.

I get 5.1 sound with my recordings and videos - no problem. However, with
music, there are problems.

Under "Music Settings", I have "Audio device" set to "default", and
"Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround".  The receiver tells me it's getting
5.1 input when the file begins to play (status bar moves, timer
increments), but there is *NO sound*.

Stopping the player shuts off the 5.1 LED on the receiver. If I UNcheck
the "Upconvert" box, I do hear the music, in stereo. However, after
stopping the music and trying to play a 5.1 source such as a recording -
NO sound, 5.1 LED on the receiver flashes off and on, I have to exit the
frontend and run alsamixer, hit "M" four times, after which I can restart
the frontend and watch a video or TV recording in 5.1 surround again.

Thanks -- Bob