[mythtv-users] Random lockups on Mythbackend

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Mon Dec 20 04:48:35 UTC 2010

On 12/19/2010 7:46 PM, dwoody1 wrote:
> Could cpu usage between 88% - 95% be causing my problem?

No.  High CPU usage will not cause a computer to lockup, unless the CPU
is overheating.

I've had some lockups in the past.  I enabled netconsole, so the kernel
would send its log messages to another computer on the network, and I
enabled nmi_watchdog (to automatically reboot the computer when it
hangs), and I also enabled a couple sysctls:

kernel.panic = 5
kernel.panic_on_oops = 1

I've found two causes of lockups (on two different computers) that the
above changes allowed me to find.  One was a bad mceusb receiver.  For
whatever reason, it would occasionally cause the computer to hang hard.
Swapping with another one fixed that problem.  Another one was a corrupt
XFS filesystem.  xfs_repair would say it was fine, but I could reproduce
the problem at will by running xfs_fsr.  Copying to a fresh new XFS
filesystem fixed that problem.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin