[mythtv-users] Random lockups on Mythbackend

dwoody1 dwoody1 at charter.net
Sun Dec 19 21:40:21 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday, December 13, 2010 12:51:23 pm dwoody1 wrote:
>> On occasion the computer that has Mythbackend will lock up. This
>> occurs once every couple of weeks and sometimes three or four times
>> in a row. I have done a web search as well as looking through the
>> archives of Mythtv and found nothing that comes close to the problem
>> I am having. This leads me to believe that I have a setting that is
>> completely inappropriate or I have a hardware problem, but this is
>> the only failure that I have seen. I am running Fedora 13 with
>> Mythtv .24 with all updates for both and 1 Gig of memory. The
>> following snippet from the Myth log file may point to a problem but
>> I do not understand what it may be indicating. star9.home.com is the
>> computer with Mythbackend.
>
> You may have a hardware problem, as you say. Occasional hard locks are
> often hardware related.
>
> I'd run memtest for a couple of days to see if you have RAM problems.
> PSU problems also can cause this type of symptom.
Ran memtest86 for 65 hours. There were 137 passes with zero errors.

> You might try running the machine without Myth to see is you have a
> problem that's not related to Myth. Booting a Live CD of some flavor is
> also a good way to test hardware. Many of them have memtest built-in to
> them.
>
> Re-seating all your cards and DIMMs can also help sometimes.
I also did this.

> I assume you also checked the system log for clues, as well as Myth's
> log.
This log had nothing to indicate any problems.

Since the memtest ran for 64 hours and the computer normally runs for
just a few, it would seem NOT to be a heat related problem.

After the memtest I rebooted the computer and setup some shows to record
(also set to run mythcommflag) while we watched some that had been
recorded. I also started top from a remote login. After a short time the
computer locked up. The lockup consist of a frozen video and about 1/4
second of audio played over and over again until I rebooted.

 From the remote login, I noticed that top showed mythcommflag was using
169% CPU. The CPU is:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+

The motherboard is as Asus m2a-vm.

Could it be that the computer is not powerful enough to handle a
recording, mythcommflag job and a playback of a previous recorded show
at the same time?

Thanks again,
David