[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 17 21:01:40 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 17, 2010 01:54:34 pm Blake Perdue wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Very very helpful.
>
> I think you are all right, no Bluray needed. I'll keep getting DVDs
> for ripping for now.

You can always add a BR drive later, the prices are likely to drop and
not go up.

Of course the question becomes where are you going to get those BR rips
without a drive, but we don't need to go there :-)

It's only a $60 difference between a DVD burner and a Blu-Ray writer, and
a BD-ROM is about the same price as a DVD burner these days.

My BR drive can even read (and thus rip) HD-DVD disks, which are often
available for $1 in the junk bin at my local video store, too bad none
of the titles are worth watching though.