[mythtv-users] Cable or dish

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Dec 17 19:51:49 UTC 2010

On 12/17/10 2:12 PM, Mike Gibson wrote:
> My wife now wants to get some form of cable, dish, or some paid TV
> service.  I have absolutely no experience with this.  The only time
> I've had cable is when I lived in an apartment and it was provided via
> the "magic plug" on the wall.  I've never dealt with a set top box or
> anything like it.

I just went through this, having moved into a new house. I went with
Dish, partly because what I want for channels is cheaper for me than
DIrect TV, and partly because I used Dish previously, so I already have
channel tuning working. I also find that cable companies raise their
rates more often than Dish/DTV, since with cable there is usually no
competition.

Since Dish's receivers can't tune any other way, I'm using an IR
blaster. This works fine with the two receivers I have, since they can
be set to use different IDs, via a very complicated series of remote
keypresses. Thankfully, you never have to do this more than once.

I'm currently capturing the output using a PVR-250 and PVR-350 via
S-video. The next time the HD-PVR goes on sale, I'll probably get a
couple, so I can be capturing HD.

The Dish boxes can tune OTA channels if you hook your antenna up to
them. And Dish is currently offering free local channels via satellite,
which depends greatly on where you are located. (In my case, I only get
3 channels.) So you might be able to get rid of the HD-5500.