[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Gregory Gulliver gbg at eclipsegrp.com
Fri Dec 17 18:34:31 UTC 2010

I have stopped building front ends for different rooms. I now have only one frontend modulated onto a channel received in multiple rooms and media players in three rooms (the backend is rack mounted in the basement).

I found that the Western Digital networked media player and the Patriot Box Office media player can both access my mythbox recordings via streaming.   (WD did not like transcoded files).  The media players can access video, music, and pictures via shared directories.  The Patriot even allows for a SATA hard drive to be put in the unit and accessed via the network as a samba share.  For HDMI, the Patriot can also support wifi and 1080p HDMI.  (Note: Patriot did have problems with my network so I backed down to 720p

The cost of a media player without a hard drive is ~$55.00 after rebate (Newegg), compared to a few hundred for full front ends.  I will most likely not even have a dedicated mythfrontend on the next iteration and use the web interface for programming recordings and media players to access the backend.

Please also note that this is not the top performing mythtv approach by any means, just an economical option.