[mythtv-users] Avoiding hard disk full messages

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 16 19:54:13 UTC 2010

  On 12/16/2010 02:46 PM, The GUIGuy wrote:
> On 17/12/10 06:20, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>

>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Why_aren.27t_my_new_recordings_showing_up_in_Watch_Recordings.3F
>>
>>     and if that's not the problem, you should run:
>>
>>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/find_orphans.py
>>
>>     to verify that the files are not associated with any database
>>     metadata.  If they're truly orphaned video files, you can then
>>     delete them with rm (which is easy to do by taking the output of
>>     find_orphans.py, putting it in an editor and using search/replace to
>>     change the list of orphaned video files (and snapshots) to
>>
>>     rm /srv/mounts/twotb_1/video/2054_20080225110000.mpg
>>     rm /srv/mounts/myth0_1/video/4122_20101013113500.mpg.png
>>

> OK, it's not reporting any video files in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
> as invalid. Only a few png image files amounting to about 5M are invalid.
>
> However, I just noticed that the files in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
> belong to root, not mythtv. Could that be an issue?

Unless your backend is running as root, that will prevent mythbackend
from ever deleting the files.

I have a feeling you may have deleted the recordings to the Deleted
recording group (switch recording groups to see--using the approach
described in the link above).  mythbackend is likely unable to actually
delete them.  They all need to be owned by the user running mythbackend.

Mike