[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestion for under $1,000

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Dec 16 01:51:54 UTC 2010

* On Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 03:56:38PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> Just a clarification:

Unfortunately, your dictionary must have a different definition of
the word clarification than mine does. :)

> There is a new product in the works (the HDHR Prime) that may allow the
> capture of encrypted cable channels using a CableCard, but this will
> almost certainly be restricted to channels marked as "Copy Freely", so
> it's not a total solution. There are no drivers for Myth yet, the Myth
> devs are good, but even they can't write a driver for something that
> doesn't exist yet.

The HDHR Prime will work with MythTV, one of the guys at Silicon Dust
has been testing with a HDHR Prime and MythTV.

> Since Hauppauge (maker of the HDHR Prime) has shown good cooperation
> with Linux and Myth in the past, I think we can expect they will
> continue to do so.

And, speaking of Silicon Dust, here's your second mis-clarification.
Hauppauge doesn't make the HDHR or the HDHR Prime, Hauppauge makes
the HD-PVR.  Silicon Dust makes the HDHR and HDHR Prime.

--
Chris Pinkham