[mythtv-users] Fedora 12 to Fedora 14: lirc / mce remote issue

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:00:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Michael Rice wrote:
>
>> I did a fresh install of Fedora 14 on one of my front end boxes and
>> it went pretty smoothly.
>>
>> There is one annoyance with the remote that I didn't have on Fedora 12.
>> When I press a key on the remote I have to hold it down (for about a
>> second) to get it to register where before a quick press would work fine.
>> Anyone know how what would be causing this or how to fix this?
>>
>> Here are the details of what I did:
>>
>> lirc from fedora repos only:
>>
>> [root at mythfrontend2 ~]# rpm -qa | grep lirc
>> lirc-0.8.7-1.fc14.i686
>> lirc-libs-0.8.7-1.fc14.i686
>>
>> [root at mythfrontend2 ~]# uname -a
>> Linux mythfrontend2 2.6.35.6-48.fc14.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri Oct 22
>> 15:27:53 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Try the latest kernel out of koji. There was a buffer-parsing issue
> that would manifest similar to what you're reporting in the F14 GA
> kernel.
>
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.35.8/55.fc14/

Thanks for the advice about the kernel problem.  I waited until a new kernel
appeared in the fedora updates repo and updated last night to
2.6.35.9-64.fc14.i686.PAE.  The slow response issue seems to be gone
but it looks like I have the opposite issue now.  A very quick push of a
button most of the time creates two key presses.  It seems to be buffering
keys and sending them out on the next push.  For example here is the
output of irw when I push Up after I had pushed several Downs:

[root at mythfrontend2 ~]# irw
0001006c00000001 00 Down devinput
0001006700000001 00 Up devinput
0001006700000001 01 Up devinput

So pushing Up after a Down does an Down/Up combo  :(

Any idea how to fix that?  I added repeat = 0 to .lircrc but that
doesn't help me.
It doesn't seem to be a repeat problem but an extra key problem.

Thanks for your help.