[mythtv-users] git & wiki

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 14 20:22:02 UTC 2010

  On 12/14/2010 03:05 PM, agraham wrote:
> More specifically, I think the question should have stated:
>
> at http://www.mythtv.org/download it says:
>
> "If you would like to grab the current development version or just
> want to keep up with the latest fixes to the stable branch, you will
> find git checkout instructions at https://github.com/MythTV"
>
> However, the "checkout instructions" do not exist on
> "https://github.com/MythTV" - at least I cannot see them, furthermore
> if you follow every link on that page you will still not find the
> instructions because they are not there.
>
> As a user (and not a developer of MythTV), I don't mind what
> repository is used as long as I get checkout the latest version and
> also I don't think I should be forced to read the Git Guide to the
> Galaxy either.
>
> I do think it's an unnecessary barrier to not include the following
> basic instructions (or similar) at http://www.mythtv.org/download:-
>
> git clone git://github.com/MythTV/myththemes
> git clone git://github.com/MythTV/packaging
> git clone git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv

See http://code.mythtv.org/trac , which explains how to get the stable
version, so you don't accidentally upgrade to the non-compatible
development version--as you would with the commands above.

Also, there's really no reason to get (and install) myththemes,
now--since the theme downloader will allow you to download just the
theme(s) you want.

Mike