[mythtv-users] Failed to find any channel (DVB-S)

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 17:18:15 UTC 2010

On 14 December 2010 12:05, zito skeete <zorionmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:42 AM, George Poulson <george.poulson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> You don't say where in the World you are but as you mention Freesat and
>> BSkyB I'm guessing you are in the UK and your dish is aligned towards Astra
>> at 19.2 or 28.2'E (I am in the UK and I receive both on my standard 'Sky
>> dish')
>
>  Sorry if in my haste that I didn't mention my location, yes I'm in the UK
> and am indeed aware of the fact that the dish is pointing to one of the two
> Astra satellites.

The Astra 28.2E cluster (2A/2C/2D) is all you need to point at for UK
Freesat. Astra 19.2E is for continental Europe and you'll probably
need a dish larger than 40cm (and motor) if you want to receive it
well.

As for the Freesat/BSkyB distinction - the free to air channels on
Freesat are the same (as in the same stream of bytes received from the
same transponder on the same satellite) as you'll receive via Sky, so
don't worry about the names of the multiplexes you see during a scan.

>>> I live in a flat with shared dishes so can only just plug in the
>>> satellite cable in one of the two feeds on wall.
>>
>> As you effectively have a single fixed dish I would say you just need to
>> set the 'DiSEqC' settings to just 'LNB' and 'Universal (Europe)'
>
> Same thing I did as in method #1 listed in my original post and for that I
> just get a "Failed to find any channel" popup in mythtv-setup. In any case,
> I will attempt to do it over again later this week as I'm missing a few
> accessory. I will also attempt to get a more verbose error log from
> mythtv-setup as the previous one didn't output anything significant.

Based on the fact kaffeine works, I still think you have an LNB
misconfiguration. If you reopen mythtv-setup after your normal DVB-S
configuration procedure, does the LNB status show "Connected"? If it
doesn't, it needs to be fixed before you'll be able to receive
anything.

LNB setup has been a long-time problem with DVB-S configuration (IME
and based on following this list) - the mythtv-setup rewrite should
hopefully make configuration a lot simpler.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott