[mythtv-users] Do I need mythfilldatabase?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:22:52 UTC 2010

On 14 December 2010 16:09, dargllun <dargllun at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> apologies if this is a stupid question, but when exactly does one need to
> run mythfilldatabase?
>
> I have a combined fe/be, which I power on on demand, and which powers on
> itself for recordings. I have two DVB-T video sources. The first source is
> configured (mythtv-setup) to permanently receive EIT data. I don't use any
> xmltv grabbers.
>
> Until now I tought it might be a good idea to call mythfilldatabase before
> power down (s2disk really) in order to update the EIT info and recording
> information. But I'm not sure if mythfilldatabase is actually doing anything
> valuable on my configuration.

For a pure EIT-only configuration on a recent MythTV release (0.23+),
mythfilldatabase is not required. The fact that mythtv-setup
erroneously reminds you to run MFDB after configuring EIT-only video
sources is a bug (http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8735) and will be
addressed in the upcoming mythtv-setup rewrite.

Note that mythfilldatabase is still needed for setups using XMLTV
listings though, but the common listings housekeeping duties were
moved into mythbackend quite sometime ago and removed the MFDB
requirement for EIT-only systems.

Cheers,
Nick

--