[mythtv-users] 0.24, tmdb.py and MythVideo ... again!

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Mon Dec 13 20:48:44 UTC 2010

On 12/11/2010 04:39 AM, Paul wrote:

>> Thank you for reporting back.  Can you share what you had done wrong
>> for the archives/record?
>

> First I couldn't get the perl or python bindings to build / install at
> all, until I figured out I didn't have all the prerequisites installed
> for them to build.
>
> From the list of everything I have installed these are the ones I
> think you need (Ubuntu package names):
>
> python-lxml
> python-egenix-mxdatetime
> python-egenix-mxtools
> python-mysqldb
> python-imdby (installed this anyway)
>
> libnet-upnp-perl
>
> I need to go back and check this list.
>
> I ran configure, make, make install and was then using checkinstall to
> create a deb package. I then worked out none of the bindings were
> being installed at all. I tried to install them manually and this made
> tmdb.py work from the command line but not within MythTV.
>
> Eventually I decided to use dpkg-deb --build to create my deb package.
> I re-downloaded the sources from the github repository, went into
> mythtv ran configure, make, make install (installing into a directory
> within my home directory). Then the same for mythplugins and
> myththemes. Ran dpkg-deb --build, installed this new deb package and
> everything worked.
>
> So it seems to me that as long as you get the perl / python bindings
> built and installed first and then build mythplugins and make sure
> when you package you have the perl / python bindings within the
> package things should be OK.

I also use checkinstall.  There is one very important caveat to using it
that I don't see mentioned anywhere.  You *must* remove all
installations of mythtv before running checkinstall.  Otherwise the
resulting .deb file will be missing files, because the "make install"
command won't try to copy new files in place, thinking they are already
there and up-to-date.

Hope this helps anyone using checkinstall.