[mythtv-users] Looking for a New remote

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 13 20:26:01 UTC 2010

On Dec 13, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Robert Shields <rwshields at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I second the recommendation with Logitech remotes - they have great female
>> acceptance (my gf, mother, and sister all have one).  Personally, I bought
>> them all the 550 b.c. it doesn't have colors or really big buttons - it is
>> low profile and sleek.
>
> I just received a Harmony One.  This was an RMA for a Harmony 880 that
> had issues within a month of me getting it (which I purchased to
> replace another 880 that was several years old and had its own issues
> including volume buttons no longer working and not being able to
> charge).

Heh, that first 880 sounds quite similar... My 880's vol+ button no
longer works, and it has a hell of a time maintaining proper contact
on the charge base... However, I have yet to bother reprogramming it
since getting a new receiver, because there really isn't much for me
to do now -- everything is coordinated by the receiver, so its stock
remote actually does everything with one or two presses the harmony
used to be necessary for.

> The Harmony One is a great remote so far.  Real good hand feel and
> responsiveness and a lot sleeker than the older one.  I am concerned
> with having had two bad remotes in the past, but from what I have
> read, the Harmony One has a much better build than the 880.

Despite the above, I may well get another Harmony for the evolving
and not-quite-so-slickly-put-together setup the kids use upstairs.
I'd probably go for a One right away, if not for the concern over
small children destroying it, which makes me want to not spend very
much at all on something for that setup...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com