[mythtv-users] Recommendation for WD Live/similar player for not-tech-savvy sister?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 13 14:15:26 UTC 2010

On Sunday, December 12, 2010 09:54:54 pm Steve Gonnella wrote:

> The WDTV Live Plus adds Netflix and Blockbuster On Demand capability
> plus DVD menu navigation. I've seen these on sale at Amazon and
> Newegg for $99. Firmware for all 3 can be updated from a thumb
> drive, the Live and Live Plus can update themselves over an internet
> connection.
>
> I'm not interested in getting into a contest on which is better but
> will address two concerns Brian had. The RMA thing is no big deal.
> I'm sure Myka has something similar somewhere on their site. The
> fact that WD put it in their FAQ shows they stand behind their
> products. As for "downgrading" the firmware, this is simply a
> failsafe in case an upgrade gets hosed due to a power glitch,
> corrupt upgrade file etc. It has never happened to me. It means that
> if a problem occurs it's an easy fix to reflash rather than having
> to send the unit in for repair.
>
> I'm sure Brian loves his Myka as much as I do my WDTV media players.
> I'm sure you won't go wrong with either one.

I suppose I'm just still miffed at WD for selling me a couple of drives
that were DOA out of the box, but that can happen with any vendor.

I did add a second response telling the OP that, if he wanted a device
that would handle Netflix out of the box, the WD units might be a better
way to go. I've found that Netflix is usually the best way to get non-
techy people started with internet-delivered television. A Myka and
PlayOn requires a little more tech savvy user, as well as more hardware
and software.

So either answer would solve his stated problem (and a few other players
would too), but I suspect his sister *does* want Netflix, even if she
doesn't realize it yet :-)