[mythtv-users] Problem playing last program before a channel stops broadcasting for the day (UK DVB-T)

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Mon Dec 13 13:48:21 UTC 2010

On 13/12/10 11:04, Mike Holden wrote:
> Haven't seen it myself, and my other half would certainly have
> mentioned it if she had seen it!
>
> I've set up the following for tonight:
> CBBC - Jinx
> BBC4 - Art of Germany
> Film4 - Mutual Appreciation
>
> Each is the last program before close.
>
> I've given them a -5, 0 and +5 end time offset, so we'll see
> tomorrow what happens. Each one is set to start at the correct time.

Thanks. In my experiments, the problem definitely occurs with the last
program on CBBC Channel and CBeebies and Five USA, but doesn't occur
with the last program on BBC3 and BBC4, so you might not see the problem
with "Art of Germany" tonight.

My hunch is that the trigger for the problem is when a channel shares a
DVB-T "slot" (sorry, I'm not sure of the correct technical term) with
another channel and things switch from one to another. As I understand
it, when CBBC and CBeebies finish, BBC3 and BBC4 immediately start in
their place. However, when BBC3 and BBC4 finish, there are often a few
hours until CBBC and CBeebies start, so the final program on one of
those channels isn't always affected. I'm also not sure if Film4 shares
with another channel, and if it does, whether there's an immediate
changeover or a gap of some hours, so I'm not sure if that one will be
affected either.

So if you can manage it, could test candidates would be:

CBBC - Jinx
CBeebies - CBeebies Bedtime Story
Five USA - Cinemania

Many thanks in advance,