[mythtv-users] recordedseek table content

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Dec 13 12:35:29 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 06:30, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> On 13 December 2010 08:45, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/12/2010 17:00, D. R. Newman wrote:
>
>         On 12/12/10 21:08, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>

>             See http://mythtv.org/wiki/Mythvidexport.py
>             It already does most of those operations as a user job,
>             plus allows user
>             defined formatting of the resultant filename, and metadata
>             pulling from
>             the defined data grabbers in MythVideo.
>
>         Thanks for the reference. I knew about mytharchive, and the
>         different
>         job it does, but had not come across mythvidexport.py . I take
>         it that
>         it doesn't transcode the file, just moves it? (I have to ask,
>         because
>         Python isn't one of the languages I have used.)
>
>     Correct.  It copies the recording as it exists over to MythVideo.
>      It does not do any transcoding.
>
> Silly question but what is the point of that?
> other then grouping everything in mythvideo?
> I thought the whole point of mythvideo was to play back anything that
> wasn't a recording or a place to export recordings after transcoding
> to reduce storage requirements?

Recordings and MythVideo exist as different organizational strategies.
Recordings are only separated by title, and sorted by date, while
MythVideo can incorporate much deeper folder trees, including season
divisions sorted by episode number.  Recordings are best done on
independent disks to best use the balancing capabilities of storage
groups, while MythVideo is fine on single large redundant array.

In my case, I've only got about a TB of storage for recordings on a
couple spare old drives.  Anything I want to keep gets flagged,
losslessly clipped, and migrated over to MythVideo.