[mythtv-users] Can MythTV make use of series and episode numbers in listings?

Chad Oppliger chadopp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 23:28:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:
> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Sometimes series that have no episode names can be problematic
>> in MythTV because of then having to use the description for
>> duplicat detectection. Some such shows still have series and
>> episode numbers. I until recently assumed that those were
>> never used because the grabber I use (uk radio times), doesn't
>> provide them, but the other day I had to look at the output
>> of the grabber directly, and many shows had them: e.g.,
>>
>>    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">7.13/15.</episode-num>
>>
>> Can MythTv not make use of that?
>>
>> I was wondering about putting a filter between the grabber
>> and mythfilldatabase that in that case would put S7 on
>> the end of the title, and E13 on the front of the subtitle.
>> Would that be sensible?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>       Paul.
>
> MythTV makes use of episode numbers in preference to subtitle for
> the purpose of duplicate detection, if they exist in the listings.
>
> It's only fairly recently that the Radio Times data has been
> carrying episode numbers.
>
> The problem I am seeing at the moment is that some programs are now
> recording again, even though I have already seen them, simply
> because they now have an episode number supplied, whereas last time
> they aired, duplicate detection was done on the basis of the
> title/subtitle combination. MythTV now sees the same episode as a
> new one because the previous showing had a blank episode number.
>
> I see no need to add the episode number to the subtitle, except
> perhaps in the exceptional case of an otherwise blank subtitle.
>
> The RT episode numbers still need some improvement, as sometimes
> it's just an episode number with no series number supplied, and
> sometimes the numbers are simply wrong.
> --

I think using the title and original airdate would be more accurate.
I would also like to see the original airdate added to the oldrecorded
table.  Although the original airdate is not always 100% accurate it
is accurate most of the time.  For my addon(mythepisode) the original
airdate in the oldrecorded table would be very helpful.

Chad