[mythtv-users] Where did I find the default early start/late end setting again?

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 22:59:17 UTC 2010

On 12/11/2010 01:55 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> Somewhere in the dark recesses of time I found and set the option to
> start recordings a minute early and end them a minute late.  When I
> start to edit a new recording rule for an upcoming show the Schedule
> Options section automatically shows "Start recording 1 minute early"
> and "End recording 1 minute late".
>
> I have found the option settings to "soft" start n seconds early and
> end m seconds late, unless there is another show on the same channel
> immediately adjoining this one.
>
> Since I'm finding a number of consecutive recording sets and my
> default settings are forcing a lot of unnecessary switching from one
> capture device to another, I want to stop the default "hard" early and
> late settings, but for the life of me I can't find where to reset
> them.
>
> I've been through mythtv-setup settings and everywhere I could in
> mythfrontend settings, but I've either zipped right past it, not gone
> into the right dialog, or it is no longer accessible from the menus in
> version 0.23.  I even tried looking through the pages of MythWeb
> (which I don't normally use).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Craig.

I believe that is a setting for individual recording rules. Go edit the rules you have and set that value to zero.

Are your tuners capable of multirec? If so, I'd suggest that you instead set that to a reasonable value on your tuners, or at
least to '2' This way you still get the pre & post recording, but it won't do unnecessary tuner switching.

I just change my pre & post recording times to 10 minutes and set the soft pre & post times to zero. 10 minutes is how far Myth
TV jumps into the program when the down arrow is pressed, so a down arrow usually gets me right to the start of the program.
The scheduler would delete the soft pre & post times for back to back recordings even with multi-rec. Because of this I would
not always know how far to fast forward to the start of the program.